Doctor released young men from service for bribes
It is probable that most past and current conscripts have heard stories of how a seemingly healthy and athletic young man has turned out to be unsuitable for service in the armed forces.
29.05.2017, Joosep VärkPM
Man threatens conscripts with gun at Spring Storm, fires shot in air
Police have started an investigation after a local resident on Tuesday fired a shot in the air from a hunting rifle as he was confronting conscripts taking part in the Spring Storm military exercise over alleged trespassing.
Sickly looking at civilian service
An interior ministry plan that has been cooking for two years would have young men deemed physically unfit for military service undergo 12-14 months of civilian service instead. The aim of the system already in use in Switzerland, Norway, and Israel would be to secure Estonia with a reserve of specialists in other fields besides the military in case of crises.
17.04.2017, Oliver KundPM
Some 400 conscripts to start military service this week
Close to 400 conscripts are to start military service in the Estonian defense forces this week in the first call-up of the year.
Ministry looking to train assistant policemen in the army
The Ministry of Internal Affairs has made a proposal to the defense ministry to consider complementing basic training of conscripts with a course for assistant police officers.
21.10.2016, Tiina KaukverePM
Hannes Hanso «embarrassed» that soc dems wanted to cut defence spending
Defence minister Hannes Hanso (44 today, Soc Dems) says the main near term aim is finding a new deputy chancellor for the ministry, and a new chief for Information Board. As for anti-refugee statements by servicemen, he wants to put an end to that.
06.10.2015, Oliver KundPM
Over 50 young men dodge June draft
The Estonian Defense Resources Agency has started work to find out why more than 50 conscripts expected to start military service this summer did not respond to the June call-up.
Home loan causes conscript complaint
Among conscripts, only three-four percent have managed to assume a home loan or some other obligation before call-up for service. Still, the situation at times comes up as problematic.
29.01.2015, Siiri LiivaPM
National Archives searching for forgotten souls
1914–1918. With about 100,000 mobilised into WW1 from Estonian and Livonian National Archives searching for forgotten souls.
13.08.2014, Nils NiitraPM
Estonia buys arms killing from a kilometre
Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Forces Major-General Riho Terras says Estonian antitank capacity is good as it stands but needs updating.
30.07.2014, Kaspar JõgevaPM
Where have all the soldiers gone?
An exhaustive report due in 2015 heralds reform in health requirements of servicemen, and in what and how they’ll have to do while in the army. To boost motivation, next spring will see certificates awarded to draftees, regarding levels of special skills acquired.
09.06.2014, Oliver KundPM
Defence chiefs weigh worst-case scenarios
Since last week-end, documents of people exiting and entering military units undergo more diligent checks. Defence League members got phone-calls.
05.03.2014, Mikk SaluPM
Six girls go for conscript service
This week, over 300 conscripts were drafted to do their duties regarding national defence – the initial call of the New Year.
Editorial: doing army twice?
Pursuant to new law, Russian citizenship will equal conscript service in Russian defence forces.
Several drug users identified among new conscripts
Officers of the South prefecture of the Estonian police decided at the beginning of July to check new conscripts and found among them several who had used narcotics.
Quarter of new conscripts in Estonia are volunteers
The summer call-up that took place in Estonia this week saw 1,671 young men and five young women enter the conscript ranks of the defense forces, with a quarter of the young men turning up as volunteers.